zeb.market.flash. Issue #43: Value drivers in banking
Our overview of current developments in the global banking market
And here is what this issue is all about:
+15.7% QoQ TSR performance of Western European banks
- Global capital markets continued to move sideways in the fourth quarter of 2022 – Basic Materials and Industrials were the best-performing sectors.
- Western European banks’ strong capital market performance lifted global top 100 banks (TSR +2.3% QoQ) above MSCI World performance (+0.9% QoQ).
+9.6% YoY Western European inflation rate in Q4 2022
- China ending its “zero-Covid” strategy and opening to the outside world raises modest hopes for a boost to the global economy.
- Overall, despite declining inflation rates, moderate inflationary recessions in Western Europe, Germany and the U.S. continue to appear inevitable in 2023.
Essential value drivers in banking
- The current and imminent banking environment poses plenty of challenges requiring banks to focus on the right value drivers and to find a balance be-tween risk, return, growth and resilience.
- We studied the influence of 45 different value drivers on banks’ objectives by using different and innovative statistical approaches and analysing an exten-sive dataset of the 50 largest banks in Europe, considering 16 years of data.
You don't want to miss an issue and receive the zeb.market.flash by e-mail at the beginning of each quarter? Sign up here for our zeb.market.flash newsletter.